What are they?
- Troches are a small medicated lozenge designed to dissolve
- Use trans-mucosal route of administration to deliver the medication into the bloodstream
- This bypasses first pass metabolism by the liver
What are the benefits?
- Smaller and thinner allows for faster melting
- Less active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) lost in the saliva
- Scored so they can be cut and ideal for titration
- Increased patient comfort
- Higher patient compliance
- Variety of doses
- Consider patients’ allergies
- Use Troche Base NS
- Variety of flavors: vanilla, chocolate, mint, etc…